KITE KITS AT HOME
In response to the continuing COVID-19 situation, The Levee in collaboration with artist Nina Katzmarkski had developed a special kite kit that you can assemble at home, just in time for the school holidays. With an overwhelming response and have run out of kite kits. However, please see the simple items below you need to create your own kit from scratch at home. You can click on the video to the right for a full step to step video tutorial on how to construct your kite.
Kites, originally invented in Asia, have become a popular activity right around the world. Many designs and styles exist from simple shapes to ones shaped like animals. There are kites that soar gracefully in the wind and kites that ‘fight’ by attempting to cut its competitor’s string.
CREATE YOUR OWN KITE FROM SCRATCH
It’s great to see so many people are keen to get creative and make a kite these school holidays. Due to an overwhelming response we have run out of kite kits, but don’t worry you only require a few materials to make your own kite from scratch.
If you would like to make your own kite kit at home, here’s what you will need:
- An old piece of fabric or durable plastic at least 45cm x 30cms cut into the kite shape on the instructions. TIP: use strong tape on the sides before you punch the string holes to prevent the material from tearing
- Two 30cm pieces of dowel or sticks. Try not to have any sharp edges that might damage the kite
- Around 30 metres of cotton twine
- A paddle pop stick or similar to make a handle to wrap kite line around
- Two strips of flagging tape or similar about one metre long.
Once you have these materials you can follow the instructions below to make your kite. You can even experiment with different shapes and materials to see what works best.
Download the instructions on how to make your kite here.
HOW TO WIN
Post your kite in flight and use the hashtags #TheLevee and #KiteKits on Facebook or Instagram and you could win a prize pack valued up to $500 sourced from businesses at The Levee.
Don’t forget to set your post to public so we can see it.
prize pack participating businesses
1 to 10 of 10 results